Pickles wrapped in cheese, steak fat, and Cheese Whiz sandwiches are among common, yet weird food cravings many women have experienced during pregnancy. While there seems to be no scientific explanation, about half of expectant mothers report at least one food craving during their pregnancy. And the truth is, the cravings are not likely to be your most nutritious food choices. So, how can we manage these rather unhealthy cravings? First, take a look at what type of taste the food has that you are craving such as: salty, sour, bitter, sweet, or spicy. Though you may have to give into your cravings once in a while, try these healthier alternatives to see if you can satisfy your needs.
You want – pickles, olives, chips, cheese, or just plain old salt
• Whole grain tortilla chips with fresh salsa
• Lightly salted or dry-roasted nuts
• Popcorn with light butter and salt
• Soy crisps, Triscuits, or other whole grain cracker dipped in hummus
You want – Sour Patch Kids, Gummies, Pixie Stix, straight up lemon and lime slices
• Sliced apples soaked in lemon juice
• Frozen grapes
• 6 oz. plain Greek yogurt with berries
• Freshly squeezed lemonade or grapefruit juice
You want – dirt, baking chocolate, etc.
• Frozen cranberries
• Green salad using arugula or kale
• Raw vegetables (e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, cucumbers) dipped in hummus
You want – sugar, sugar, sugar and more sugar
• 8 oz. low-fat chocolate milk
• 6 oz. frozen yogurt or Greek yogurt with berries and granola
• Berry spinach salad with a fruity dressings (e.g. raspberry vinaigrette)
• Fresh fruit
• Dark chocolate
• Fruit smoothie
• Peanut butter & jelly sandwich
• Fruit & nut trail mix
You want – Sriracha, chili’s, jalapeno’s, hot hot hot!
• Scrambled eggs with spicy salsa
• Popcorn sprinkled with cayenne pepper or other spicy seasoning
• Spicy roasted chickpeas
• Add a handful of wasabi peas to your favorite fruit & nut trail mix
Shameless Plug (because we can) – Proper nutrition during pregnancy won’t take away pregnancy cravings but it sure can help! Getting the proper amount of protein every day not only helps keep vitamins down without making you nauseous, but it also lessens the desire for the empty-calorie cravings we all love so much while we are expecting (carbs, carbs, carbs). In place of your prenatal try Mommi 3-in-1 (protein + prenatals + DHA) in chocolate or vanilla. Many of our customers have experienced reduced cravings while getting all the extra nutrition you need during pregnancy and while nursing. Try a sample free today – you just pay shipping.